Any person with an interest in maritime affairs, or who wishes to acquire an interest in, or knowledge of, maritime affairs and who wishes to support the objectives of the League, is invited to join.
The principal objective of the Navy League of Australia is “The maintenance of the maritime well-being of the Nation” by:
- Keeping before the Australian people the fact that we are a maritime nation and that a strong Navy and a sound maritime industry are indispensable elements of our national well-being and vital to the freedom of Australia.
- Promoting defence self reliance by actively supporting manufacturing, shipping and transport industries.
- Promoting, sponsoring and encouraging the interest of Australian youth in the sea and sea-services, and supporting practical sea-training measures.
- Co-operating with other Navy Leagues and sponsoring the exchange of cadets for training purposes.
The Navy League of Australia works towards its objectives in a number of ways:
- By including in its membership leading representatives of the many elements which form the maritime community.
- Through soundly-based contributions by members to journals and newspapers, and other media comment.
- By supporting the Australian Navy Cadets, and assisting in the provision of training facilities.
- By publishing The Navy, a quarterly journal reporting on local and overseas maritime happenings, past, present and projected.
- By maintaining contact with serving naval personnel through activities arranged during visits to Australian ports of ships of the Royal Australian and Allied Navies.
- By organising symposia, ship visits and various other functions of maritime interest throughout the year.
Member participation is encouraged in all these activities.
Joining the league
To become a Member of The League, simply complete the Application Form below, and post it, together with your first annual subscription of $35.00 (which includes the four quarterly editions of The Navy), to the Hon Secretary of the Division of the Navy League in the State in which you reside, the address of which are as follows:
- New South Wales Division: GPO Box 1719, Sydney, NSW 2001.
- Victorian Division: PO Box 1303, Box Hill Delivery Centre, VIC 3128.
- Queensland Division: c/- 4/309 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, QLD 4000.
- South Australian Division: PO Box 3008, Unley, SA 5061.
- Tasmanian Division: 4 Illawarra Road, Perth, TAS 7300.
- Western Australia Division: PO Box 735 Fremantle WA 6160
If you live in the Australian Capital Territory or the Northern Territory, please post the form to the Hon Secretary of the New South Wales or South Australian Division respectively.
Subscriptions are due on 1 July in each year, and your membership will be current to 30 June immediately following the date on which you join the League, except that if your first subscription is received during the period 1 April to 30 June in any year, your initial membership will be extended to 30 June in the following year.